Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Skirtical Mass

I’ve never been one for biking in a skirt. 

Actually that’s not true. I ride in skirts when the situation requires it, such as when I have a sudden and uncontrollable need for a 3 p.m. mocha . But I've never gone out of my way to purposely ride in one, or purchased a skirt specifically for biking. They look perfectly cute on other women, it's just not my thing. Shorts are more comfortable; also, I came of age at a time when Sir Mix a Lot was telling us that his "anaconda don't want none unless you've got buns, hun"* and wedding-goers everywhere were Doin’ Da Butt”—“all night long.” Backsides were for shaking, not for draping.
My feelings changed, however, once I found out that skirt-pedaling might be a naughty (and therefore fun) activity: An NYPD officer allegedly threatened to ticket 31-year-old Dutch tourist Jasmijn Rijcken for doing just that. (Somewhere, someplace, the suffragettes who fought for our right to ride to the polls in pants are very confused.)
So the next time I ride in Manhattan, I might have to sport my mini in solidarity. And if I could be there tomorrow, I’d join the Short Skirt Celebration Ride.

*Plus a lot of other things we didn’t need to know about him.

No comments:

Post a Comment