Saturday, February 19, 2011

Training Diary #1: Ride for the 'Shrooms

Date: February 17, 2011
Activity: Ride
Duration: 1 hour, 40 minutes
Route: Somewhere in Eastern Pennsylvania
Miles: ??
Weather: What is that strange glowing object in the sky? Could it be...THE SUN?!!
Calves: Pasty white
HR: Pretty freakin' high (until I got dropped)
Reward: Susan Rice Alexander's Charlie's Truffled Popcorn


I'm no expert on mushrooms, but after inhaling a bag of gourmet popcorn sprinkled with the stuff, I'm convinced that truffle people are the triathletes of the food world.

Consider Susan Rice Alexander's Charlie's Truffled Popcorn, which unapologetically proclaims its costliness on its packaging: "You're about to indulge in one of the most expensive foods in the world." This is apparently because truffles grow only in certain climates--"mostly France and Italy"--two countries that coincidentally also make great bikes.

Susan, however, is doing her part to help everyday Americans exercise their right to consume pricey fungi. Her 200-acre truffle farm in North Carolina is, she says, the largest in the U.S. "My mission is to turn America's tobacco farmland into the Napa Valley of truffles," she says.

Damn. Maybe I need to set my goals a little higher.*
But Susan is there to cheer me up: "Welcome to the sexy, mystical world of the truffle."

What now?

For verification, I consult that most trusted source, Wikipedia, which states:
"A truffle (pronounced /ˈtrʌfəl/) is the fruiting body of an underground mushroom; spore dispersal is accomplished through fungivores, animals that eat fungi." Which doesn't sound at all sexy to me.

So I read on: "The origin of the word truffle appears to be the Latin term tuber, meaning 'swelling' or 'lump'". [Cue the sound of middle-school boys giggling].

Ah. It's all starting to make sense. She never does explain who Charlie is, though.

I'm sure he's very mystical and sexy.

*Or actually set goals in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment